the journey

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

When I think of my first day at work, the drive, from Jogeshwari to Mahape on that gloomy, rainy Monday morning I can only remember being mortified by the distance. And the roads. The potholed, clogged, jammed roads. It approximately took an hour and 45 minutes to reach work and the only thought in my head was-“ how am I going to this daily?” I don’t know whether it’s a tragedy or a blessing that we get used to things – however terrible they may be. Its been over 6 months and I’ve moved relatively closer to work though it still does take almost an hour (worse during peak hour traffic) and the roads are just as bad (though dry). I’ve learnt to actually enjoy certain stretches of the drive, while coming back home. Like the Airoli bridge that connects Vashi to the Eastern Express Highway. The best thing about this bridge is the view of the skyline of Bombay it gives. It is a skyline that speaks to you and one that only metros can have. Highrises and hills dim in the distances, almost fading into the horizon. Subtly discernible. The mangroves lend a heightened sense of space which is so rare in the overcrowded city. And the sun set from the bridge is beautiful. The best stretch to listen to good music on.

Every place is beautiful in such unique ways. I think I’m falling in love with this place. Something that I swore wasn’t possible.

On a completely unrelated topic I’ve begun to believe that the great Gustav (Ratatouille) spoke the truth. I now understand the distinction between “Anyone can be a cook” and “Anyone that wants to, can be a cook” My cooking exploits are leading me into whole new worlds, the kind in which foodies revel. The only thing keeping me going in this period, which perhaps has been my most hectic so far, is the anticipation of going back home and experimenting with my new found culinary skills J

My ‘To Do’ list keeps growing in proportion to the number of hours I work these days and the reality of ‘childhood past’ suddenly dawned on me yesterday. I’m still looking for that something, though not through the looking glass anymore ;P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home